Consultation for art conservation services include surveys/assessments, consulting and planning for; mural conservation and restoration projects, restoration of art on paper, care for painting collections and historic properties; setting collection art conservation/preservation priorities, long-range art conservation needs planning and short-range budget plans, evaluations of art storage facilities and environmental needs, consultant for art traveling exhibitions/shipping, emergency preparedness and disaster response planning and research as it relates to art and collectible items, Fine arts insurance evaluations connected with art preservation emergency/damage surveys, art acquisition/deaccession evaluations, grant preparation and applications for art collection maintenance, fundraising for art restoration conservation related projects, expert testimony/ legal witness services on art and mural relate issues. We provide these services on a continual basis, sometimes on a quick one-task basis and sometimes as a key player on a team for a long term project. Some of the more notable public/private institutional clients for these services have been:
- Texas State University, Alkek Library renovation: Consultation services over a 9 year period for the mural conservation services of the massive historic mural by Buck Winn, “The History of Ranching in Texas” and its installation into a very unique and interesting location: Click here for video.
- Army Corp of Engineers, Corona, CA on the Prado Dam Bicentennial Freedom Mural – Flaunted as “the biggest mural in the world” the 1979 public art created by Vietnam vets, local artists and high school kids has become a treasured historic landmark for the 12 million people that live in the area and the 10 million people that drive by it on the 91 freeway every month. How to save it?!?! More explanation to come here this summer of 2019.
- National Air and Space Museum, Washington DC. Called as a pre-approved mural conservation expert of the federal government to help identify and formulate plans for resolving problems in the removal of 5 enormous murals that was to take place during renovation: https://www.fineartconservationlab.com/murals/national-air-and-space-museum-mural-removal-art-conservation-expert-consultation/
- Thomas Fire and Montecito Mudslides 2018 – Largest wildfire in the history of the State of CA. We consulted on smoke damage etc on artwork and collectibles for over 10 insurance companies and made over 60 proposals to treat/clean and maintain 7,000 – 8,000 art related objects.
- City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs– 3 year contract as appointed art/painting expert (murals, public art) SaveFreewayMurals.com
- Long Beach, CA public Library WPA murals to determine appropriate treatments to propose to the city.
- Ft Leonard Wood Army Base, Missouri, WWII Mural by African American in African American Officer’s Club – Mural conservation proposal and budgets. Click here to see video
- US Army, Ft. Bliss, El Paso Texas. WPA mural conservation with moving options and costs.
- University of Missouri, Conservation planning with Charles Nemmers, Director of the Transportation Infrastructure Center, College of Engineering. Click here to see video
- State of Tennessee, Nashville, Consultation on preserving and protecting murals during renovation.
- Featured speaker at Wright Thurston’s International Power Summit for Investors, Salt Lake City, UT
- Art Expert Witness – 900 water damaged art items inspected and reported on.
- Logan City Utah School District – Consultation and painting conservation of 32 Depression Era works: https://youtu.be/PVRBCrxQr2o
- Lonato (Garda Lake, BS), Italy – Santa Maria del Corlo Historical and Community Complex – Mural conservation and restoration. Click here for short PR YouTube video. Planning, trouble shooting, media and fundraising PR development – $1.5 million project: Click for article in Italian
- Palazzolo sull’Oglio, Italy – Historical and Community Complex – Mural conservation and restoration. Planning, trouble shooting, media and fundraising PR development – $6million project. Click to see short intro video
- Santa Barbara City College, Santa Barbara, CA Mural removal and reinstallation (link)
- State of Minnesota, State Capitol Building Restoration Project 42 murals and other paintings (link)
- City of Lamesa, TX – Mural removal and reinstallation (link)
- City of Cedar Rapids, Iowa – Murals, lighting, UV impact (link)
- Caltrans (California State Highway Dept.) – Los Angeles Freeway Murals (link)
- Mural Conservancy of Los Angeles Graffiti on Los Angeles Freeway Murals (link)
- Haines and Valentino Law Firm (Expert witness), San Francisco, CA – Dahlin vs. Wildside West Bar
- Texas Southern University -TSU Mural Collection (link) Houston, Texas – Collection Survey
- Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market Monumental Murals (link), Los Angeles, CA
- Homeland Security Outlook (Disaster Prep.), Washington DC
- Small Business Admin Research and Info Clearinghouse (Disaster Prep.)- SBDC Net, S. Antonio, TX
- Thorn Human Resources Information Clearinghouse, (Disaster Prep.), Los Angeles, CA
- Public Art Division of the City of Los Angeles, (replaces our contract with the Community Redevelopment Agency, Cultural Arts Dept/Fund) Click here for article Paintings and Murals maintenance.
- The Jonathan Club (Painting Collection), Los Angeles, CA Collection Survey
- Banca d’Italia Development Dept., (Graffiti/street art mural conservation/restoration planning on massive real estate development), Verona, Italy
- Lowry’s Corporation (Painting collection in nine locations), Los Angeles, CA Collection Survey
- Bonhams and Butterfield Auctioneers and Appraisers, Los Angeles, San Francisco, CA (Paintings – Analysis – Damage Response)
- John Moran antique and Fine Art Auctioneers (Paintings – Analysis – Damage Response), Alta Dena, CA
- Japanese American National Museum (Painting Collection), Los Angeles, CA
- National Park Service (Murals), United States Government
- The General Services Administration (Murals, Painting Collection incl Art on Paper), US Government, Washington DC
- Department of Labor Expert Witness (link), United States Government
- Dept. Of Transportation (Murals), United States Government
- Ente Nazionale Per l’Istruzione ACLI, Botticino (BS) (Murals, Painting Collection), Italy
- City of Dallas Monumental Murals (link), Texas
- The Archdiocese of Los Angeles (Murals, Disaster Response)
- Los Angeles Central Library (Monumental Murals), City of Los Angeles
- Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer and Assoc. (Murals, Disaster Response), Los Angeles and New York
- The City of Burbank (Murals), Burbank, CA
- Brenda Levin and Associates (Murals, Disaster Response), Los Angeles, CA, New York, NY
- The Los Angeles Athletic Club (Painting Collection), Los Angeles, CA
- The Hollywood Athletic Club (Murals, Disaster Response, Expert Witness), Los Angeles, CA
- Folger and Levin Law Firm, Botello v. Shell Oil Co. (1991) Expert Witness (link)
- Saint Monica’s Church (Murals, Disaster Response), Santa Monica, CA
- The Historic Mission Inn Corporation (Painting Collection), Riverside, CA
- International Iberian Institute of Art (Painting Collection), Santa Fe, NM
- Friends of Mexico Foundation (Murals, Analysis), Los Angeles, CA
- El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Park (Murals, Analysis), CA
- The State Government of Washington (Murals)
- Getty Conservation Institute ( Murals, Analysis), Marina Del Rey, CA
- The J. Paul Getty Museum (Paintings, Murals, Analysis), Malibu, CA
- Los Alamitos Historical Park (Murals, Analysis), Long Beach, CA
- Native Sons of the Golden West (Painting Collection), San Francisco, CA Collection Survey
- Santa Barbara Museum of Art (Painting Collection), CA Collection Survey
- University of California at Santa Barbara (Painting Collection), CA Collection Survey
- Friends of the Mission Inn (Painting Collection), Riverside, CA Collection Survey
- Institute of Museum and Library Services, US Government, Washington DC – Consultant and reviewer for Collection Survey grant applications nationwide since 1986.
- Lassen International (Painting Collection), Maui, HI and Las Vegas, NV
- Museum of Art and Church History (Murals, Painting Collection), Salt Lake City, UT
- Bain Investments Int’l (Painting Collection), Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo Collection Survey
- Schmidt Estate Collections (Painting Collection), Locarne, Switzerland
- ENAIP Lombardy Regional Conservation Center (Murals, Painting Collection), Botticino, Italy
- Santa Barbara Trust for Historical Preservation (Painting Collection), CA
- Margaret Mallory Collection (Painting Collection), CA Collection Survey
- Leigh B. Block Collection (Painting Collection), CA Collection Survey
- Brigham Young University (Murals, Painting Collection), Provo, UT Collection Survey
- State of Utah Art Collection (Painting Collection), Utah Arts Council, Salt Lake City, UT Collection Survey
- History Dept., Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Murals, Painting Collection), SLC, UT
- Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Museum (Murals, Painting Collection), Salt Lake City, UT
- Springville Museum of Art (Painting Collection), Springville, UT
- The Shroud of Turin Project (Analysis), Getty Conservation Institute, Los Angeles, CA
- Cavriana Archaeological Museum (Analysis), Cavriana, Italy
- Montini Family Collection Pope Paul III (Painting Collection), Lumezzane, Italy
- Museum of Ex-Monastero della Trinitá (Painting Collection), Botticino, Italy
Received October 2, 2003: National Trust for Historic Preservation Award , National Preservation Award which is the highest award for professional preservation from the United States Government for services rendered to the Fair Park, Dallas Texas
Regarding the book Save Your Stuff in the Workplace
“This information needs to be in the hands of every staff member in every FEMA office in disaster areas.” Dr. Bill Henriques, Public Information Officer, Federal Coordinating Officer for Disasters, FEMA, National Contingency Program, Public Affairs
Scott M. Haskins provides free art and collectible emergency preparedness and disaster planning content for blogs and newsletters of companies and organizations that distribute information to their members, the public or a constituency. He speaks often to groups. Give our office a call to discuss your idea!
Ask me how we can leverage our expertise & publications to fundraise for you. We have recently helped the following institutions/historical groups to fundraise:
Mission San Juan Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA
Santa Barbara Mission Archives and Library, Santa Barbara, CA
The Mission Inn Foundation, Riverside, CA
Daughters of Utah Pioneers, SLC, UT
Save Your Stuff in the Workplace, published by Morgan James Publishing in New York, was written to guide art collection assessments and collection care in any workplace, in the corporate environment and in government offices. It is an excellent program for public outreach by institutions as it includes free continuing education and assistance to program participants. Special customized help for HR septs. Click on this link to order a copy through Amazon. For multiple copies and assistance in your office call 805 564 3438
Hi, my name is Tahera, I’m working on a restoration mural project here in Cleveland, Oh. I found your videos on YouTube a few months and wanted to reach out in regards to a consultation for our project. I’m documenting the historic murals and the restoration project we’re organizing with the Cleveland Public Library and the Intermuseum Conservation Association. As the project manager and lead researcher, I have the privilege of assembling a team of consultants and contractors’ I would love to speak with you about the project. Thank you for your time.
Thanks for reaching out Tahera. Please call me on my mobile 805 570 4140. We are working on removing a mural from the UN building in NYC the second half of this week so call me today or tomorrow or after Wed, next week. TTYS, Scott
Good to connect with you Tehera. Please call me at 805 564 3438
Hello – I have an oil painting (framed to 17″ x 33″) that has two “sticky tape” marks. I would like to have the painting restored to remove these marks. I live in Laguna Niguel, CA and can take the painting to your office.
HI Carole, We visit people in your area all the time. Give us a call and we’ll talk about it. Here’s my mobile phone: 805 570 4140 . TTYTS, Scott
To whom it may concern,
I have a small painting appr. 6 x 5 inches done by Boris Solotareff, “French Landscape”, oil on canvas. The paint is flaking and I would like to receive a quote for conservation. Can I send a image and receive a quote via email?
If you are still interested in connecting, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on my mobile 805 570 4140
I am considering making a painted mural on mural paper vs. painting on the wall.
Can you tell me if mural paper is a durable medium for outdoors?
What glue is typically used? Is it removable, and how?
I would want it to removable in case the building is destroyed, but not easy to remove by vandals.
Thanks for your question Fred. Paper probably won’t work but mural artists are using a polyester non woven this paper-like material called Reemay or Polytab. But with every answer I could give to a question, it turns into many other questions… so, why don’t you call me and we’l chat? 805 564 3438. Best wishes.
Pingback: The importance of getting quality, professional, expert mural conservation consultation services | Fine Art Conservation Laboratories (FACL, Inc.)
Pingback: Rare Historic Paintings of Missions of CA That Survived Incredible Odds | Fine Art Conservation Laboratories (FACL, Inc.)
Pingback: Michael Jackson Collaborated With Artist Kent Twitchell To Have His Mural Painted! | Fine Art Conservation Laboratories (FACL, Inc.)
Pingback: PBS Program on Rare Historic Oil Paintings of Missions of CA That Survived Incredible Odds | Fine Art Conservation Laboratories (FACL, Inc.)
Pingback: National Air and Space Museum Mural Removal Art Conservation Expert Consultation | Fine Art Conservation Laboratories (FACL, Inc.)
Pingback: Restoration of a Cute Mural, Animal Circus | Fine Art Conservation Laboratories (FACL, Inc.)
Pingback: Art Conservation Restoration Expert? "Have you worked for any institutions?" | Fine Art Conservation Laboratories (FACL, Inc.)
Pingback: After Mural Restoration in California The Horse Breakers by Fletcher Martin is again in Lamesa, TX! | Fine Art Conservation Laboratories (FACL, Inc.)
Pingback: Chapman College Museum of California Art
Pingback: Mural Restoration Expert Consultation | Fine Art Conservation Laboratories (FACL, Inc.)
Pingback: Authentic WPA Mural of “Old West” Art Conservation Consultation and Project Planning | okanydasz
Pingback: Authentic WPA Mural of “Old West” Art Conservation Consultation and Project Planning | Fine Art Conservation Laboratories (FACL, Inc.)